Our annual training will be held virtually July 19 to July 21, 2021. Registration is now open! Click here to register!
Monday, July 19th, 2021
9:00 am to 11:30 am. Introduction to Arts Integration. Instructor. Kimberly Simms Gibbs.
1:00 pm to 3:30 pm. Exploring Folktales and Puppetry through Felting with Cecilia Ho
Tuesday, July 20th, 2021
9:00 am to 11:30 am. Creative writing and illustration with Tim Davis
1:00 pm to 3:30 pm. Print Making with Sunny McGowan
Wednesday, July 21th, 2021
9:00 am to 11:30 am. Process Drama with the Alliance Theater.
1:00 pm to 3:30 pm. Google meets with artists to plan residencies.
First-year: All sessions plus meeting with your artist.
Intermediate: Three sessions plus meeting with your artist
Advanced: One session plus meeting with your artist.
2019 SmartARTS Training Schedule: Click Here for PDF
NEW UNIT PLANNING FORM: Click Here for Google Document
NEW STUDENT REFLECTION FORMS: Click here for Google Form
Teachers and artists, please find links to all our session handouts and supporting documents in the Google Drive. Follow the link by your session:
2019 Institute Session Folder https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10psW1RMCrlzwbcYc0ZnF_u9AEVe2mcZy?usp=sharing
UNIT PLAN NUTS AND BOLTS INCLUDING TA CONTACT INFO: CLICK HERE
Monday to Thursday
First-Year Teacher Training
What is Arts Integration? Kennedy Center
Dance Immersion Handout, Christie Leonard. Click here
PrintMaking Immersion Handout, Sunny M. McGowen: Click here Slides: Click here
Arts Integration Resources: Click here
Creative Writing with Moody Black Click Here
Visual Arts with Sherry Smith Click here
Mask Making with Carlon Steller Click here
Process Drama with Kim Baran: PPT Click here. Handout Click here
Advanced Teacher Training;
Cultural Studies through Felting, Cecilia Ho. Click here
Process Drama with Kim Baran: Click here
Digital Storytelling Click here Samples:
Musical Theater Slides, Jonathan Kilpatrick: Click here
SmartARTS Training sessions are full! Please add yourself to the waitlist via the portal. Training will be held at the Fine Arts Center of Greenville during Summer Academy on July 22 - 25th.
SmartARTS provides GCSD teachers with art-integration units including experienced teaching artists for up to 8-day residencies plus art supplies and support at no cost to the school. The cost of the training is $25. Teaching teams are welcome!
- Fully funded arts integration grants require teachers to attend our summer training (part of GCSD Summer Academy): July 22 - 25th at the Fine Arts Center. (For GCSD renewal points/exchange) Sign up on GCSD PD Portal after May 15 when Summer Academy opens.
- Cost per teacher is $25. Lunch, snacks, drinks included. Also includes one PD book.
- As part of the training, you will be paired with your artist to work collaboratively to plan an arts integration unit for the upcoming year.
- Past participants may opt for training Option 1 or Option 2.
- You will implement your unit in the 2019-2020 school year at a time that fits your classroom schedule.
- Open to Elementary School, Middle School, and High Schools. Please note that while art and music teachers are welcome, this program is aimed at Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, and Math teachers across all grade levels.
For Academic Teachers new to the program.
Title of Session: Beginner SmartARTS Arts Integration Training -
4 Day Workshop Series Session
Date: July 22 - July 25, 2019
Time: 9:00 - 3:00 Fine Arts Center
For Previous Participants.
Advanced Option One
Title of Session: Advanced SmartARTS Arts Integration Training - 2 Days Workshop Series
Session Code: 044
Date: July 23 - July 24, 2019
Time: 9:00 - 3:00 Fine Arts Center
Advanced Option Two
Title of Session: Advanced SmartARTS Arts Integration Training - 1 Day Training
Session Code: 046
Date: July 24th, 2019
Time: 9:00 - 4:00